Miller scores the game winner in overtime as the Dons top Saints Peter & Paul, 3-2

Loyola junior Trent Miller scored an unassisted goal, with just 2:24 remaining in the first overtime, Friday afternoon at Piney Orchard Ice Arena, vaulting Loyola Blakefield to a thrilling, 4-3, victory over Saints Peter & Paul in the MIAA B Conference Ice Hockey Championship.

It was Loyola’s second straight B Conference ice hockey crown.

Despite securing the top seed for the post-season, Loyola (8-5-2) went 0-1-1 against the second-seeded Sabres (6-4-2) in the regular season and SSPP gave the Dons all they could handle again on Friday.

Leading 3-2 heading into the third period Loyola had several opportunities to put the game away, but remained clinging to the one goal advantage as the period wound toward conclusion. The Dons, however, could not hang on to the end, as senior Same Weisman netted an unassisted goal, with 1:38 left to keep the Sabres alive and force the overtime.

Loyola jumped on top 1-0 with a goal at the 13:03 mark of the first period. Jackson DeAdder setup the score with one-on-one shot which was saved but rebounded out to junior Luke Ankeny, who ripped a quick shot into the cage, past Sabres’ keeper Jack McPeake. DeAdder was credited with the assist.

Not even two minutes later, Ankeny scored again when he collected a feed from sophomore Derian Anderson and slotted a shot through a crowd in front of the net.

It stayed 2-0 Loyola into the second period, however, the Sabres struck for two quick goals early in the second stanza. With 9:45 left, sophomore Aubrey Perry got a free run up the right side and scored off a well struck wrist shot, cutting the Dons lead to one. The Sabres won the ensuing face-off and needed just 12 seconds to pull even. Senior Cole Lacaze received a pass on the left wing, slid to middle and drove the puck home at the 9:32 mark.

Loyola regained the lead with 6:18 left in the second period. Senior Joey Wolfgang started the play with a slippery shot from just inside the blue line that made it all the way to McPeake, who pushed it aside. Senior Joe Stafford reached the puck and shot back across the goal mouth, left to right, and it slid past McPeake.