No. 7 Greyhounds edge No. 11 Calvert Hall, 2-1

by Joe DiBlasi

Determined not to settle for a second consecutive double-overtime tie in a big MIAA A Conference soccer game, No. 7 Gilman stepped up its game in overtime, Monday in Roland Park. Senior Luke Unger, who scored Gilman’s opening goal early in the first half, created and converted a penalty kick goal, with 6:36 to play in the second overtime, lifting the Greyhounds to a key 2-1 victory over the No. 11 Cardinals.

Luke Unger scored both goals for Gilman.

Unger had converted one other PK this season, going left, so he was thinking about going right this time. At the last second, however, he spied Calvert Hall keeper Spencer Nattans leaning in that direction. Thus, Unger slowed down his approach to the ball and calmly drilled a low hard shot inside the left post, sending his teammates spilling onto the field in celebration.

“I had my head down and I saw him out of the corner of my eye move to the right early,” said Unger. “So, I put the ball on the left side.”

Gilman had then top-ranked McDonogh on the ropes, last Friday, but had to settle for the 1-1 tie, putting the only blemish on the Eagles record thus far.

Unger, who said his team was completely out-played by Calvert Hall in the first half, actually put his team on top with 14 minutes to play in the first half, when scored off a long throw-in by Greg Diette.

Calvert Hall got the equalizer with less than two minutes to play in the opening half when Ben Bender played a little volley to the right of the box when Chris Link headed it into he upper 90.

“After that McDonogh game we didn’t want to go through two overtimes again without scoring a goal,” stated Unger.

Gilman coach Jon Seal said the first Calvert Hall goal was the wake-up call his squad needed.

“They equalized it and that woke us up a little bit,” said Seal. “I give [coach] Rich (Zinkand) and his kids credit.”

Seal also praised Unger and forward Jack Stuzin for their effort.

“Unger and Stuzin make us competitive through their work rate,” added Seal. “Luke has a knack for scoring the ball. It was Unger’s day today.”

Calvert Hall coach Rich Zinkand was understandably upset with the way the contest end, but said, “Two teams battled hard. I give Gilman credit.

“We’ve got to get over the hump and learn to find a way to win these games. We’ve got to make a play in one of these games to get us back on the winning track. Losing becomes contagious and winning becomes contagious.”

It was the second straight hard-fought, one goal loss for the Cardinals who fell in overtime to Loyola last Friday.

Gilman (9-3-1 overall) improved to 6-2 in the conference and Calvert Hall (6-5 overall) fell to 5-5 in the league.

Pictured above: Gilman’s Luke Unger (right), who scored both Greyhound goals, works against the defense of Calvert Hall’s Dom Corona.

CH 0 1 – 0 0 — 1
GIL 1 0 – 0 1 — 2
Goals: CH-Link; GIL-Unger 2.
Assists: CH-Bender; GIL-Diettw.
Saves: CH-Nattans 6: GIL-Farley 7.