No. 11 Dons come from behind to defeat No. 7 Cardinals; A Conference soccer roundup

No. 11 Loyola traveled to No. 7 Calvert Hall, Friday night, to battle the defending champion Cardinals under the lights in a prime-time MIAA A Conference soccer match.

Calvert Hall jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, but the Dons roared back for a 3-1 victory.

Calvert Hall’s Sean Barwick scored off a feed from Joe Van Detta, 5 minutes in, but the Dons evened the score when Chase Llewelyn scored on a nice turn and shot into the side net. Ben Gallagher assisted on the goal.

Loyola pulled ahead when Alex Reid’s left-footed shot pondered off the near post and Ben Gallagher banged home a one-time rebound shot into the net.

The Don’s kept the pressure on scoring, their third goal when Seth Onolaja latched on to a beautiful cross from Brandon Hurt at that back post.

Patrick Milmoe had three saves for the Dons. Spencer Nattins had seven saves for Calvert Hall.

Loyola improved to 2-1 overall with the win and 1-1 in the A Conference. Calvert Hall is now 2-1 overall and in the league.

Elsewhere in the A Conference, No. 1 Archbishop Curley defeated St. Paul’s, 3-1, in Brooklandville.

Tommy Sidleck scored twice and Bryce Woodward scored once, as the Friars (4-0, 2-0) remained undefeated. Jack Stamm scored for the Crusaders (0-3, 0-3).

No. 2 Mount St. Joseph bounced back from Wednesday’s loss at Curley, to claim a 1-0 home win over John Carroll. Jake Mazzei scored the winner for the Gaels (2-1, 2-1) and Mark Mansfield had the assist. John Carroll slipped to 1-2 overall and in the conference.

In Owings Mills, No. 3 McDonogh stayed perfect on the year with a 2-0 win over No. 18 Gilman.

Aiden Welsh and Casey Settleman scored for the Eagles (4-0, 3-0). Gilman (2-3 overall) is now 1-2 in the league.

Also, in a non-league game, Archbishop Spalding tied DeMatha, 1-1. The goals by both teams came in the final four minutes of regulation, before the contest went to double-overtime.

DeMatha struck first, with 3:53 left, but Spalding would respond with 1:17 remaining, on a long throw-in deep in Dematha territory. The ball was thrown in near post and flicked by Henry Hardart to a waiting Austin Werner, on the back post, who calmly beat the Dematha keeper.

Kyle Edwards was in goal for Spalding and made four saves.