John Carroll accepting applicants for the position of athletic director
The John Carroll School, an independent, college-preparatory, co-educational Catholic school for grades 9–12, established in 1964 and located on 72 acres in Bel Air, Maryland, is currently seeking a full-time Director of Athletics.
Athletics are a vital part of the total curriculum at The John Carroll School. As an extension of the academic classroom and traditional school day, interscholastic sports are designed to affirm and promote values and engage student-athletes fully in mind, body and spirit.
Reporting to the President, and serving as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Athletics is the leader of the athletic program and will set a programmatic vision that is rooted in our Catholic mission and professionally managed with an emphasis on sportsmanship and competition.
The Director is responsible for ensuring that John Carroll athletics are focused on teaching the principles of participation, excellence, discipline, loyalty, self-confidence, selflessness, dealing with success and failure, respect for authority and teamwork. The objective of athletics is to foster an environment where young people reach their fullest potential intellectually, emotionally and physically.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The athletic director will:
- Provide strategic direction and oversee tactical management of all athletic programs and activities.
- Manage the scheduling of all athletic activities.
- Provide purposeful leadership, hiring, scheduled evaluation and professional development for athletic staff and coaches.
- Be the face and voice of the athletic program at The John Carroll School internally and externally, as well as be the main point of contact with the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association and the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland.
- Establish and oversee the standards of conduct, scholarship and sportsmanship throughout all athletic endeavors and among all constituents and participants.
- Mentor coaches in their professional practice.
- Set a clear, mission-based athletics philosophy and progression from 9th through 12th
- Create mission-based supervision and formation program for athletic personnel.
- Oversee management of athletic department resources, budgets, facilities and needs.
- Collaborate with others–the key to success. The Athletic Director will work closely with:
- Facilities to ensure athletic facilities and fields are kept in optimal conditions.
- Institutional Advancement regarding philanthropy initiatives and events associated with athletics.
- The Admissions Department on enrollment efforts and the impact of athletics in recruiting prospective student-athletes.
- Marketing and Communications on an athletics communication plan that works jointly with the school’s overall messaging plan and media engagement.
- Office of Campus Ministry on mission-based formation programming for coaches, students, and parents.
- The Principal’s office to ensure that athletics is integrated into the scholastic life of the school.
- Ensure program and institutional compliance with all legal and regulatory regulations and requirements.
PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL SKILLS
- Purposeful leadership and passion.
- Inclusivity and building positive relationships.
- Creating, implementing and sustaining vision-based programming.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Keen understanding of the various developmental phases from grades 9 through 12 and the role athletics play in an academically challenging environment.
- Understanding of the landscape of youth sports and a philosophy on how to strike the balance between the competitive landscape and a well-balanced positive experience.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in an educational environment, preferably with a background in a Catholic, college-preparatory school.
- Prior coaching experience, preferably at the high school level.
To Apply for This Position:
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and a list of three references to:
Tina Piquett, Executive Assistant to the President